Graham LOVES strawberries. They’re his favorite fruit (by far) – he talks about them even when we’re not eating them! So when we heard about Pappy’s Patch in Oviedo we knew we needed to go. I wanted to share our experience and a few tips if you’re planning on going.
We arrived on a cool morning and there weren’t many people at the patch yet (more berries for us!).
Graham had so much fun pulling the berries off the plants. It’s a fun way to teach him his colors too – we only want the red berries (this one was a little too pink).
It’s pretty inevitable that small kids are going to eat berries while they pick, but fortunately Graham likes to savor the berries (leaves and all!) so he doesn’t eat too many.
- Pappy’s Patch is located at 501 Florida Ave. Oviedo, FL 32765 Note: If you type in “Pappy’s Patch” to your iPhone map it will not take you to the right place, but it will get you close. I’d recommend just typing in this address so you get to the right field.
- The patch is never open on Mondays and other days of the week are determined a couple days in advance. Check their Facebook page before you go for hours and days of operation.
- They accept only cash or check and strawberries are $3 a pound, blueberries are $4 a pound.
- Containers for picking and taking berries home are provided.
- You can pick strawberries from December – April or blueberries from April – June.
- Dress to get dirty! There’s often mud at the end of the row you’re on and, well… Graham can tell you how that goes:
- The earlier you go the better the berries. Make sure you get out there before the plants are picked over.
- Go further away from the little trailer where you pick up your buckets/trays to get better berries. Often the closer plants have already been picked.
- If you need a plan for using all your extra berries remember they can be frozen or even used in a recipe like these delicious pancakes!
Have you gone berry picking with your kids? What did they think of it?
Looking for some other fun things to do in the area? Check out my list of 100+ Adventures in Central Florida!